May 18, 2010

Not So Swedish Meatballs

Okay, everybody has to eat. Today, I am sharing with you an illustrated version of one of my favorite meals, 'Not So Swedish Meatballs'.

This recipe is enough to feed four people (or six, if two of them are toddlers). Delicious with potatoes or pasta and some fresh veggies. Mama tip of the day: the more color in your meal, the healthier it is! *wink*

Ingredients:
500 gr. ground beef
one red onion
one egg
yoghurt
one cube of beef boullion
sweet soy sauce (I swear by Indonesian Ketjap Ajam)

Put all the mince meat into a mixing bowl. Add pulverized bread crumbs and one egg and mix together. (If you're queasy about mixing by hand, you can use a spoon...sissy.)

Roll balls out of the mix - you should be able to make about 30-40 balls, depending on the diameter.

Don't fortget to wash your hands before doing anything else, like playing the kazzoo...







Pour some olive oil in a deep frying pan and add one chopped red onion. Drop the meatballs in one by one so they stay intact. (No one likes mushy balls, now do they.)

Pour some sweet soy sauce (I use Indonesian Ketjap Ajam) over the balls as soon as you drop them into the pan. This is what I like to refer to as my patented instant marinade.

Add a swig of wine to the balls to intensify the flavor







(and take a swig yourself!)


Add your favorite spices (I love Mrs. Dash so much, I would adopt her if I didn't already have two kids) Let the balls simmer for about 15-20 minutes.

Add some perky tomatoes for color and flavor.


Add the cube of beef boullion by crumbling it by hand over the meatballs. Do not add any water! You'll be diluting the sauce later with yoghurt.









About five minutes before serving, pour a generous amount of yoghurt* into the pan.

Stir in well and serve with veggies and pasta!




Yum yum!


 

 * If you have a little bit of yoghhurt left and don't feel like putting it back in the fridge, pour it into the sink! It's a super eco-friendly all-purpose cleaner!

6 comments:

  1. This is by far the best recipe I've ever read in a blog, or anywhere, come to think of it. The pictures are priceless, plus the tips like what to do with excess yogurt and wine are great! Thanks for sharing this. I'd love to read more Recipes by Lizanne in the future. (Now I just need somebody to cook for me so I can try this recipe. Yogurt in Meatballs? Awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, i don't eat meat but i must say, this looks especially tasty! much better than that piece of freezer slab i have been eyeing for the last 3 hours! This was fun to read and made me long for the days when i ate hamburger ...looks good!
    So, miss thang, what can't you do? i think you are a super hero but don't want to tell anyone, cause you seem to be able to do it all...oh so talented! glad to see you got up some will to write a post thanks for making my mouth salivate and my chin drip with drool! mahhhh! (that's the hungry sound i make)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't find you on Twitter, so here you go.

    I passed along the versatile blogger award to you - http://midwesternmamah.blogspot.com/2010/05/hey-yall-i-got-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what??? I actually think I will try this! Looks YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Holly! I am tickled pink! Thank you so much!! That's right, I don't twitter, I think it's a scary place...and my internet connection is too inferior to keep up.

    @LIM - I am telling you - it's easy peazy and yummy in the tummy. (oops, orry, was still in 'mommy-talk' mode...apologies)

    ReplyDelete