May 22, 2010

I'm A Goofy Goober, Yeah.

Spongebob Squarepants. You either love him, or you hate him. Personally, I love him, not only because of his childlike mannerism or naiveté, or even the fact that we both have a split between our teeth, but because I can relate to him on a deeper level. You see, I too, like Spongebob Sqaurepants, am a goofy goober.

So what makes me a goofy goober? It comes down to little things, those seemingly insignificant things that I find myself doing on a daily basis. Things like going 'weeeeee!' out loud on the swings, running around like a child, blowing bubbles. You may be thinking, yeah sure, you do those things because you're a mom and your kids expect it of you. But the thing is, I have enjoyed goofy activities like this before I became a mom - doing them around my kids just makes me seem less like a wacko in the eyes of society today.

But why does society frown on acting goofy as an adult? Why does society dictate that, once we hit the age of 30, or maybe even 20, that blowing bubbles is no longer acceptable? It's like those signs by the cash register that say 'No alcohol under 16' (this is Europe) - if it was up to society, they'd also have signs saying: 'No blowing bubbles over 25'!

I have accepted the fact that I am a goofy goober. So has my husband, thank God. My husband, who had lost all contact with his inner-goofy goober years before we met, has been known to let his guard down and be a goofy goober again, every now and then. I have been a major influence on him as far as goofy gooberness goes - he knew that I was a goofy goober (a trait that goes far back in the Hennessey gene pool, incidentally) when he married me (even the third time). He accepted that life with me would involve regular amounts of goofy gooberness. Now that we have kids, that amount has increased tenfold, which helps him to rediscover his inner-goofy goober every day anew. For someone who is not born with natural goofy gooberness like me, it's a challenge for him. But it's a challenge we face together.

Being a goofy goober makes me a better parent, I'm convinced of that. You have to be a goofy goober at times just to cope with the challenges of parenthood. I mean, how else can you come up with songs about doing a pee-pee on the potty? You can't. Not with a straight face in any case. It takes a degree of goofy gooberism to accomplish a task like that.

I believe everyone has a goofy goober within them, it's simply a matter of letting it out. Ask yourself this: when is the last time you giggled inanely, ate ice-cream that had a face on it, or played with your food? When is the last time you flew a kite, sang along to a Disney movie or ran after an ice-cream truck? When is the last time you made a daisy chain, finger-painted or did the puzzle on the back of the cereal box? Yesterday? Last week? Last year? Too long ago to remember? Then you might just need a new mantra. Memorize these few lines and by doing so, you can create a portal through which the goofy goober in you can emerge:
I'm a goofy goober, yeah.
You're a goofy goober, yeah.
We're all goofy goobers, yeah.
Goofy goofy goober goobers yeah.


We're all goofy goobers. Yeah. You, me, the mailman, the pope. Your mom, your neighbor, even that guy who picks his nose behind his newspaper on the subway in the morning. When you're chewing a piece of gum, can you remember how to blow a bubble? When you're going out to get the mail, why not try whistling a tune? If you feel like making pancakes, why not make them in animal shapes? Add some food coloring to your glass of milk! Draw mustaches and missing teeth on the photos of people in the newspaper! Fold a paper airplane out of that jury duty notice! Be a goofy goober! Yeah! Do it today! (It'll be the best day ever.)



10 comments:

  1. Aww! You sound like my kinda girl!! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm your kinda girl, you must be mine honey! I KNOW you're a goofy goober. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I knew what you were talking about even before I read this post! A little secret for you...I have every single Spongebob show on dvd, I have seen every single episode at least 12 times i stopped counting how many times i saw the movie when i got to 20 times.
    Ummm, so it makes sense that i would find you, my goofy goober twin, to be my friend we're all goofy goobers ya!
    And I don't have any kids and I still do all the childish things like build sandcastles (poorly builts ones) draw with crayons, splatter my full diaper all over the wall ha ha ! but now there's no one to clean it up so it's not as much fun ;o(

    I used to date a few men who just despised my goofy tendencies and I had to let them go...cause if you can't be goofy there's really no point is there? Sometimes i wish i had kids just so i could really be goofy....then people wouldn't look at me like i should be locked up with a straight jacket on...
    great post darling as usual!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well when I first Saw Sponge Bob I thought he was a stinky piece of Swiss cheese....and that Makes me a Goofy Goober!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol@Trish - I knew you knew! Kids are indeed the best excuse for being hard-core goofy - next time you're in town and you see a bunch of kids, just go over there and pretend you're their aunt or something and go for it! No one will ever be the wiser...!
    @Brans-Muffin - what'd I tell ya! Are ya gettin all the hidden Zen-like meaning here?! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and Trish - I knew you were a Spongebob-anatic too - from some of your very first posts on Jacob's 'Is This the Way?' discussion on Networked Blogs! Hee hee! I was stalking you subconsciously then...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That video was fucking awesome. I think I could use more Spongebob. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jacob, it's true - Spongebob's music is eerily healing!!
    Another good one is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utweW1-dIuM
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love Spongebob in our family! Sadly, though, the children are turning into teenagers so we can't use them as an excuse to act goofy anymore. On the other hand, there's that certain special joy to be had in embarrassing your teens... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol! I can't wait to embarrass my kids! I am gonna be so good at that...!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete