April 04, 2010

The Easter Bunny

As a kid, the Easter Bunny was the only fantasy holiday creature I really believed in. Santa Claus was a little too far-fetched for me, the Tooth Fairy was just beyond comprehension, but the Easter Bunny had something special.

I remember one year (perhaps it was the year I started to doubt) when I wrote a letter to the Easter Bunny. I asked him (for some reason I assumed it was a him) to draw a picture of himself. The next morning, I didn't rush after my brothers in search of eggs or baskets, I went straight for the little folded-up piece of paper - the answer to my request.

When I unfolded the paper, I saw a true-to-life pencil sketch of a rabbit, very much like this one:

So the Easter Bunny wasn't some goofy-looking rabbit that stood on two legs and wore a kooky hat after all! It was a real rabbit! Every time I saw a real rabbit after that, I always sort of wondered: could it be him? And you know, I think that to this day.

My Easter Bunny experience had much more of an impact on my life than any gift under the Christmas tree or money under my pillow ever did. I find it important that my kids grow up appreciating nature and all its beauty way more than anything they can get at Toys-R-Us...

On this Easter morning, outside our little house in the forest, there are rabbits running around in the grass - baby rabbits on their very first jaunt outside the hole, and older more cautious rabbits sniffling around for a particularly yummy bit of grass. On Easter morning, we've got Easter Bunnies galore. Real ones.


*This beautiful sketch is by pandahead

No comments:

Post a Comment